WELCOME 친구 CHIN-GU (FRIENDS)!

"Thanks for dropping by! Her Korean Things love to share K-Happiness with everyone through blogging down her encounters with anything Korean in her life. This is a place where stories go personal and the Kpop fanatic writer tend to relate most of her food, travel, concert, language, drama, songs, critics and whatever articles to anything Kpop! Feel free to read more about Her Korean Things here!"

Sunday 13 November 2011

Hyeopjae Beach Reminded Me of Simple Joy

Anyong!

드디어 (deu-di-eo | Finally), I have some time to jot down my memorable moments in Korea again! So afraid that one day I'll forget everything ommo I better jot down everything before all of them vanish!

Today's post is again some part of Jeju island! I'm a beach person, I love the sand, the sea, the breeze! You can read up my previous Haeundae beach moments at Busan here! Haeundae is all warm and sunny, it reminded us about getting out there in life to enjoy what life brings us, be all warm and outgoing, enjoy and live life to the fullest! But Hyeopjae beach in Jeju island brings me a different meaning. You'll know why as you read on.

From Seogwipo, we took an intercity bus ride of 1 hour to the west side of Jeju island. There's a bus from Seogwipo city to Jeju city every 20 - 30 minutes so do not be afraid if you missed a bus! :)
PROUD BACKPACKER: Me and my backpack, on a very old bus. No aircond.

I must say, there were many old people going to Jeju city! I don't know why but all the passengers were definitely 50 years old and above except me and my cousin brother. It's quite a scene as you can see all of them were slowly wriggling up the bus, finding their seats. Some even have big parcels or clothed packages in their arms. The feeling was like those weird scenes in K-dramas where the main actress was surrounded by nothing but elderly, and she had no idea what was going on, you know that kind of feeling? Yeah, that was how I felt. Plus, that bus had no air cond, but thankfully the air was fresh and crisp! I wanted to take a picture of what came to my view but I felt it's a little disrespectful, so I rather not. :)

Once we reached the bus stop, there was no sound of splashing waves. Disappointed. Then to my amazement, the beach was obviously not supposed to be like beaches in Busan. I stood in awe in front of this calming, peaceful, heavenly like place...I went "oh my gosh...", "oh my gosh so pretty!!!". It felt so unreal.
GUARDS OF JEJU: Never in my life I thought I will end up in such place. 
Now Maldives is possible to me!

My cousin bro and I just stood there for more than 5 minutes, with our backpacks on! Somehow the beach in my picture doesn't look as amazing as how I viewed it with my own eyes! But I guarantee you it's really a breather for those searching to get away from the city! The view just made my mind go blank, I was just focusing on what's in front of me, nothing else. And that made me so happy, so contented :) 

EXTRA SAFETY: The water is actually rather shallow.

If you are someone who prefers cycling, do pick a hostel that provides bicycle rental. It's not really easy to travel in Jeju unless you cycle or you rent a scooter. To rent a scooter you must show them your international license, which sadly we do not have! Ended up we paid 10,000Won (USD10) for a bike to cycle the whole day! Cabs are very expensive, trust me. We cycled past 3 villages in Jeju city, I think it was around 3 hours, seriously fun!!! But excruciating during the night, my thighs were screaming!

RELIVING CHILDHOOD MEMORIES: Used to cycle in my village when I was a child, cycling at Jeju made me meet my long lost innocent child in me again!

LONELY PORT: Ships waiting for their owners to bring them out to the sea at night

So the actual Hyeopjae beach has a really low and slow tide as you can see :) Some part of the sea actually reaches the beach, but some have yet to. It's quite amazing that you can see some people still standing in the middle of the sea on that small little mounted land! It's one beach where parents can be more relaxed with their kids playing around as the tide is so low and calm; one beach where elderly can stand firmly together on the sand to reminisce old times, one beach where couples will not be disturbed by the strong waves, but marveling together at such peaceful place. 
LEAVING MY PRINTS: Rue @ Hyeopjae

I've only been to Perhentian, Langkawi and Pangkor in Malaysia; Bondi in Australia, Koh Samui in Thailand and Haeundae in Busan. I must say Hyeopjae is the very first beach I've been, which is as clear as drinking water!! I was so crazily fascinated that I could see my feet in the water among all those seaweeds. Must had look very stupid in front of the locals. But heck it, I was enjoying every moment! Wait til I meet the next best beach, Hyeopjae is topping my list still :)

FRESH FROM MOTHER NATURE: Seaweed at the shore

I learned something when I was at Hyeopjae, via human instinct. Apparently when a person is standing among the seaweeds, the temperature was less colder. If you happened to be just standing among the seawater, it's really cold! It took some time for me to get used to the cold. I then linger quite a while among the seaweeds because the temperature felt better then! You should really try it if you ever go to Hyeopjae! :)

NATURE'S GIFT: Seaweeds are best roasted to be eaten with rice!

I'm a fan of seaweed, roasted seaweed to be exact! When I was in Korea, I would always roll my rice with roasted seaweed. How on earth simple stuff like that could taste so good? I still remember how I felt when I held this fresh seaweed in my hand. I remember the touch of it and the fresh scent of it. 

Weird yet surprising, I felt happy and contented, for the view I had in front of me. It's funny how this seaweed translated a simple message to me, that simple happiness in life is always around us. We just need to pause, slow down our pace in life to take an extra look, to listen, to feel, to touch; and we'll find unexplained joy in the very simplest things in life. That was how I felt when I held this seaweed in my hand. 

That's my encounter with Hyeopjae Beach at Jeju island :)



No comments:

Post a Comment